The majority of leisure and culture activities across South Lanarkshire are to be paused for the month of January.
New COVID-19 restrictions were announced by the First Minister Nicola Sturgeon earlier this month, with the clear message being that everyone should stay at home as much as possible.
All indoor South Lanarkshire Leisure and Culture (SLLC) facilities have closed, and many outdoor activities, such as the new outdoor fitness classes, will also have to stop for the time being.
Sign up for the new Lanarkshire newsletter!
From the latest breaking news to the agenda-setting stories, get it all in your email inbox.
Put your email at the top of this article or follow the instructions on this link.
Non-contact football training for under 12s across South Lanarkshire can resume on a limited basis.
The SFA (Scottish Football Association) has issued guidance which allows the non-contact training, following the First Minister’s update on January 4, and the implementation of extended Level 4 ‘Stay at Home’ restrictions.
It means SFA registered clubs are allowed one 45-minute session per week for age groups under 12 years of age.
General Manager of South Lanarkshire Leisure and Culture, David Booth, said:“While this latest update is welcome news for clubs who have under-12 teams, we would of course urge them to take note of the restrictions that will be in place and to take extra care.
“Because of the current restrictions and our reduced capacity, we will be offering training sessions, usually from Monday to Thursday and between 5pm and 8pm, at a number of our synthetic pitches from Monday, January 11.”
The following pitches will be available to customers for under-12 non-contact training, and you should contact them by email to arrange a suitable time and date:
-John Cumming Stadium, Carluke,
-Hamilton Palace Sports Grounds (outdoor only),
-Stonelaw Sport Centre, Rutherglen,
-Fernhill Community Centre, Rutherglen,
-Jock Stein Centre, Hamilton,
-John Wright Sports Centre (Whitemoss), East Kilbride.
David Booth added: “We understand that this may require some flexibility on the part of our customers and would ask them to be patient during this process.
“Teams will be required to complete a check list prior to booking to demonstrate they are able to operate within the current guidance.
“Any contravention of the guidance will result in the booking being withdrawn immediately.
“We hope as many teams as possible who fall into this criteria take up this offer and we look forward to when we can welcome back teams of all ages to our pitches.”
However the opportunity for under-12s to take part in non-contact training may change depending on advice from the SFA and Scottish Government.
Some activities such as golf will be able to continue but games will be limited to two balls.
Although all libraries will have to close, the ‘connect and collect’ service will continue.
Chatelherault and Calderglen Country Parks will remain accessible for outdoor use and SLLC will be able to provide take-away teas and coffees at these sites.
Additionally, SLLC’s popular programme of online activities will also continue.
General Manager of SLLC, David Booth, said: “The most important thing is that everyone takes heed of the Scottish Government advice and we work together to mitigate the impact of the global pandemic.
“While we are obviously disappointed at having to temporarily pause some of our activities, the safety of our customers and staff is our number one priority.”